We’ve almost finished the core section of the MWA, so we’ve had another good day for day number 5 out here. Morale remains high, and the student army are doing extremely well.
On a personal note, I got myself into the dipole building game (out of the label-writing and dipole clipping job) and finished my first 35 ‘turrets’ today. I’m suitably proud, even though all other members of the army are well over 50 each!
Here’s a small tour of the site that I shot yesterday. You’ll have to forgive the bumpy camera, it’s hard to hold it super steady when walking over rough ground and I was rushing so I could get back to work.
I think we’ve got into a good rhythm with laying out cables, coiling them up and clipping on dipoles. We’ve definitely got a rhythm making dipoles in the office. It’s all looking good!
We heard some good news today – the beam formers should arrive on site later this week, so we’ll be able to start clipping them together. This also means there’ll be a delivery direct from ICRAR/Curtin so we’ve requested more tools and some care package items (including cheese and bacon balls and diet coke, which got us a confused email back from base!)
Day 5 Summary
Antenna Count: 1592/4096
Completed MWA Tiles: 47/128
Beam formers installed: 0/128 (0 on site)