Day three started a bit more slowly with some admin in the office, and then reached frenzy pitch in the afternoon as we reached the countdown to home time.
Our task today was to start installing the beamformers we constructed yesterday. There were already 60 out and installed, which leaves 68 for us to put in in just two days. We were optimistic this morning and last night, and then the optimism fell away after lunch when we realised how long it was taking us – but we did manage to get all the beamformers for the Alpha, Beta and Gamma parts of the array complete – which only leaves Delta and Epsilon left (which are smaller than the rest.)
We got to visit some of my favourite tiles today. Yep, I have favourites – wouldn’t you with views like this at work?
We also had some further excitement today – Tom left in one of our cars for Geraldton before breakfast this morning to meet a light plane to take some aerial photographs of the site.
They took both stills and a movie while flying overhead – we’re all interested to see the results.
Unfortunately the flowers and wildlife couldn’t distract us from realising the inevitable – we weren’t going to be able to install all the beamformers. Dave has specifically said to us a number of times that there’s no pressure to finish but we really don’t want to leave another job incomplete. We were being pretty down about it (some of us still hopeful we could make it) when we learned we didn’t have to leave for our flight home first thing on Saturday morning, so we can hopefully finish up the job then. That was the highlight of dinner for me tonight – knowing we’d have the chance to do them all!
Bring on tomorrow I say!
Continuing our tour of Boolardy, here’s a glimpse of the kitchen…
…and the tasty dinner that came out of it tonight!
Come back and join us for our last full day tomorrow, where hopefully I can report all the beamformers getting installed.
While all our adventuring was happening today, I should add that Prabu and Dave got another of the 16 receivers on its pad and hooked up – great job guys. They are planning on getting the third started, if not finished tomorrow. Lots of hard work going on out here!
Antenna Count: 4096/4096 – Completed last trip
Completed MWA Tiles: 128/128
Beam formers assembled: 128/128
Beam formers installed: 90/128 (128 on site)
Beam formers with bricks: 65/128
Receivers on pads 2/16