We almost made it! Only two left… Lucky for us we can do them tomorrow morning before the drive to Geraldton for our flight home. The feeling is amazing that we managed to top yesterday’s effort of 30 beamformers to install 36, and that we’ll get it all done (barring weather getting in our way again or something… I’m touching wood right now!)
While we were running around installing 36 (!!) beamformers, Dave, Tom and Prabu were busy back in the office. The brains for another receiver are ready to go out first thing tomorrow, and they’re planning on a fourth being ready to go by tomorrow afternoon. Excellent progress made all round.
Even though we were in ‘heads down, work harder’ mode today, we still managed to glimpse some wildflowers and wildlife.
As part of our trip around the tiles, we also got to ‘service’ some dipoles today – basically taking their lids off, undoing the screws that attach the amplifier to the aluminium ‘bat wings’ and checking it all out. It added some variety to our day, and it’s good to see the ‘service’ loops we added in when cabling actually doing their job and allowing you to pull apart a dipole without needing to uncable the whole tile. It was also a great feeling to just know what to do when we were asked to service them – we’ve learned so much on our two trips about almost everything that goes into the MWA.
Trip 2 Day 4 Summary
Antenna Count: 4096/4096 – Completed last trip
Completed MWA Tiles: 128/128
Beam formers assembled: 128/128
Beam formers installed: 126/128 (128 on site)
Beam formers with bricks: 60/128
Receivers on pads 2/16